After leaving Castle Tantallon, we finally made it to Edinburgh.
The change in architecture was noticeable even as we drove into the outskirts of the city. Approximately 20 minutes away from the centre of Edinburgh we discovered a cute little church called the Portobello And Joppa Parish Church.
Arthur’s Seat located in Holyrood Park only 10 minutes from the city, is named after King Arthur and from its peak gives an impressive view of the city. Unfortunately it would be dark by the time it would take to walk to the top, we decided not to attempt the climb.
We finally found our way into the centre of the city after an incredible day. Unfortunately we were losing daylight fast, it was already 5:50pm and sunset wasn’t far away at 7:10 pm.
We quickly found an advantageous free parking spot (the benefit of arriving after 5 pm) and we began our exploration of the city.
Looking down North Bridge toward The Balmoral Hotel.
Royal Mile Market.
The Woollen Mill looking down Cockburn Street.
Looking up the Royal Mile towards Edinburgh Castle.
The St Giles Cathedral. The present church dates from the late 14th century, though it was extensively restored in the 19th century. The oldest parts of the building are four massive central pillars, often said to date from 1124.
Outside the Cathedral is West Parliament Square, and perched right in the middle is a statue of Walter Montague Douglas Scott, 5th Duke of Buccleuch by sculptor William Birnie Rhind.
The main casualty of running behind schedule today was the opportunity to extensively look through Edinburgh Castle. We tried to get in, but security guards told us that the last visitors had been admitted at 4 pm. One of many reasons why we would love to return to this beautiful city.
The Hub, at the top of Edinburgh’s Royal Mile, is the home of the Edinburgh International Festival. Its gothic spire, the highest point in central Edinburgh, towers over the surrounding buildings. The Hub was originally built for the Church of Scotland constructed between 1842 and 1845.
The Elephant House, opened in 1995, was made famous as the place of inspiration for J.K. Rowling, who sat writing much of her early novels in the back room overlooking Edinburgh Castle.
We made our way back to North Bridge to see the sunset. The view from the bridge was spectacular!
After such an amazing day we headed back to the car, via a cafe to have tea and scones, before checking into the hotel and happily resting our weary feet.